ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
This is the second conference on open software organized by the Institute of Geodesy and Geoinformation Science, Wroclaw University of Environmental and Life Sciences, and the Polish Chapter of OSGeo.
The first conference took place in June of 2009 and was mostly instructional. Invited speakers presented papers on the use of free and open source software, ongoing work on its development, licensing and practical utilization. The present conference will have international scope. Foreign guests, including the representatives of national mapping agencies of the European Union member states have been invited to deliver plenary lectures. They will present their views on the scope and status of the use of open software associated with the processing of geoinformation in Europe, as well as its impact on the implementation of the INSPIRE directive. We hope that these presentations will also project a vision of the future of geodesy and geoinformation science, and the business model of the operation of the spatial data infrastructure.
The thematic scope of the conference:
- Free and open source software, free data, open standards
- Use of open software within the public administration and surveying and mapping agencies
- Internationalization of open source software packages for GIS
- Polish contribution to the OSGeo
- Implementation of ISO and OGC standards in open software
- Prospects for open software development in the context of INSPIRE
- Knowledge-based society and social networks
- The business model for the operation of national mapping agencies and the development of open software
- New areas of applications of GIS
- Cloud computing in geoinformation science
- Metadata, thesauri and semantic networks
We invite everyone interested to participate in the conference.
We also encourage everybody to actively participate in the conference by presenting a paper. The deadline for abstracts of proposed papers is February 28, 2010, and the deadline for registration to participate is on May 3, 2010.
Conference presentations will be published on the conference website after getting positive reviews. Papers in Polish will be published in Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, and papers in English - in the Electronic Journal of Polish Agricultural Universities.
General and technical requirements for publications:
- Acta Scientiarum Polonorum
- Electronic Journal of Polish Agricultural Universities
The conference fee of 440 PLN (approx. 110 EUR) covers conference materials, a social event on May 13, 2010, lunch, and refreshments during breaks.